A small budget movie would not be having the benefits of a large budget movie i.e. a star-studded cast, huge marketing stints, foreign locations and so on, but on another hand, what these movies mostly have is good actors, established directors, and a well thought out storyline.Gone are the days when only a huge budget movie used to make a mark. Nowadays, low budget movies make as much revenue and attract as much audience as many of the high budget Bollywood movies. Here are few such small budget movies that have won a large audience:
- Chalk n Duster giphy.com The movie was released in 2016 and is directed by Jayant Gilatar. The movie that talks about how India’s private education system is slowly getting commercialized stars Juhi Chawla and ShabanaAzmi. The movie did make an impact and received quite a lot of positive reviews. The old concept of ethics vs greed and good vs evil was shown beautifully and the movie was made tax free in Northern parts of India.
- Paan Singh Tomar makeagif.com Directed by Tigmanshu Dhulia, Paan Singh Tomar is a biopic on an Indian soldier. The movie won a lot of appreciation for its brilliance. Starring superb actors like Irrfan Khan, Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Vipin Sharma and Mahi Gill, the movie that was made with the budget of Rs 8 crores made approximately Rs 38 crores.
- Vicky Donor scoopwhoop.com The debut film of both AyushmanKhurana and YamiGautam, Vicky Donor that was directed by ShoojitSircar was made with the budget of Rs 5 Crore and it went on to make a collection of about Rs 66 Crore. The movie talked about Sperm Donation which is a lesser discussed topic. Annu Kapoor who was cast in the supporting role won great appreciation for his acting.
- Iqbal alchetron.com Starring ShreyasTalpade, Naseeruddin Shah and Shweta Basu Prasad, Iqbal was directed by NageshKukunoor. The film is about a small village boy who is deaf and dumb and with the help of his coach went on and made his place in the Indian Cricket team. The movie was made with the budget of only Rs 45 lakhs but was so good that it collected Rs 45 crore at the box office.
- PyarKaPunchnama giphy.com PyarKaPunchnama was one of the biggest hits of 2011 and it was made with the budget of Rs 7 Crores while it collected over Rs 30 Crores at the box-office. The film was made with lesser-knownstar cast such as KartikAaryan, RanjitBatra and Raayo S. Bakhirta. The film made such a great impact that its sequel was made and released in 2015.
- Udaan gifsoup.com While the film did not make the lasting effect at the Box Office, it was so much appreciated that it was selected for 2010 Cannes Film Festival Un Certain regard category. The film starred Ronit Roy, Ram Kapoor, and RajatBarmecha and was directed by VikramadityaMotwane. It was such a touching story of adolescence that word of mouth worked wonders for this one. Cover Image Source