Since the inception of the music of all genres, including pop, rock, folk, there has been no dearth of female singers. From Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday in the 1950s to Taylor Swift and Rihanna and many others of the 21st century, the West has given us innumerable, unforgettable, and achingly talented female pop artists.
Let us do a countdown of some of the legendary pop artists.
- Cher Cher is one of the greatest pop stars the world of music has ever produced. Her musical career spans for five decades within which she produced some major chartbusters. With her husband Sonny, she sold records more than 80 million. Some of the amazing songs include, “If I Could Turn Back Time”, “Love Hurts”. She won Grammy, Oscar, Emmy and three Golden Globe Awards.
- Aretha Franklin Aretha Franklin is an American singer, songwriter, and music composer, and she is widely accepted to be one of the best of all time. She began her career by singing gospel at the church of his father, C.L Franklin. She is popular for her songs like “Respect”, “I Say A Little Prayer”. In 1987, she received the honor of becoming the first female artist to be enlisted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She holds 18 Grammy award.
- Whitney Houston One of the flawless and classy singers in the history of American song is Whitney Houston. Between 1985 and 1992 she released four music albums, all of which became a global sensation. Her album Whitney which was released in 1987 gave her the first Grammy award. Some of her famous songs include, “I Will Always Love You”, “Saving All My Love For You”, “When You Believe” and many more.
- Celine Dion People came to know about Celine Dion for her “My Heart Will Go On” which was the OST of Titanic. She is one of the pop artists who dominated music in the 1990s. She began with recording nine French albums and released her first English album Unison in 1990. She became an overnight sensation when she recorded the theme of the Beauty and the Beast from Disney. She delivered several hits like “ I am Alive”, “Because You Loved Me”, “The Power of Love” and many more.
- Toni Braxton She is famous for her heart-wrenching “Un-Break My Heart”. Her career debut was the song she sang for the movie Boomerang in 1992. The next year she received positive reviews for her self-titled album which have some chartbusting songs like “You Mean the World to Me”, “Breathe Again” “Another Sad Love Song” and many more.
- Linda Ronstadt She is acclaimed to be one of the most versatile singers in the history of world music. She began her career as a band member of the folk-rock group, Stone Poneys. She debuted as a solo singer in the 1970s with the album “Hands Sown..Home Grown”. She has 11 Grammy awards in her kitty and some of her famous songs include “When Will I be Loved”, “You’re No Good” and “Don’t Know Much”, the last being a debut with Aaron Neville. She is also placed in the Hit Parade Hall of Fame.
- Christina Aguilera Christina Aguilera is perhaps the biggest and most powerful vocalist the American music world has ever produced. She debuted as a cast member on The All New Mickey Mouse Club. She released her first solo hit, “Genie in a Bottle” which gave her the first Grammy. Her other hits include, “Lady Marmalade”, “Come on Over Baby” and “Dirrty”.
- Taylor Swift She is currently the biggest sensation as she just doesn’t sing the words; she actually feels them and expresses them beautifully. At the age of 16, she released her first album. Songs like “Love Story” and “You Belong With Me” became a sensation. At the age of 19, she became the Billboard Artist of the Year. In 2010, she became the youngest artist to win the award for the Album of the Year for her album Fearless. She has delivered a number of hits like “Blank Space”, “Wildest Dreams”, “Back to December” and many more.
- Adele The “Hello” hit-maker is one of the most popular female pop icons in recent times. She released two albums, 19 and 21 which became hit. The winner of multiple Grammy has also an Oscar in her kitty for her song in “Skyfall”. Her ballad “Hello” reached the numero uno spot. Some of our famous songs include, “Rolling in the Deep” and “Someone Like You”.
- Rihanna She became the singing sensation with her solo album ‘Music of the Sun’ which sold more than 2 million copies worldwide. She delivered a number of hits like “We Found Love”, “Unfaithful”, “Umbrella”, “Take a Bow” and many more. She has won Grammy and MTV Music Awards. She also collaborated with the legendary Paul McCartney and Kanye West for the song “Four Five Seconds”.