Karan Johar who is one of the most popular and successful filmmakers, director and producer of Bollywood has been always in news for reasons other than his films. Karan has always managed to stay away from revealing much about his personal life while he questions the same to the other celebrities on histalk show“Koffee with Karan”. There have been various speculations surrounding his sexual orientation, various gossips and it has been an ongoing debate, yet nothing concrete has been said as of now. However, Karan Johar has managed to reveal the truth about his sexual orientation without actually saying it:
- To Simi Grewal in 2011 thequint.com Karan appeared on Simi Grewal’s talk-show in 2011 where he was asked if the talks regarding his sexuality bothered him. His reply was, “It doesn’t bother me when people talk about my bisexual orientation. Obviously, if I am 39 and single, people will question me. Why should I say I am not gay or I am not bisexual or trisexual?”
- About his involvement with styling of actors tenor.com In his autobiography “An Unsuitable Boy”, Karan revealed his fascination with bangles and sandals. He was also involved with the styling of actors other than direction and writing of the film. He says that fashion sense comes naturally to him and that he would go and buy bangles from Goregaon Market and later on match them with bindis.
- An Interview with Harper’s Bazaar India in 2015 desimartini.com What he said during the interview with Harper’s Bazaar India in 2015, left many speculating that Karan was indeed gay, “We have a connect. I always feel that if I were a man who would be interested, she would be the wife I wanted, or if I had to have a sibling, she would be the sister I never had. Or if I was interested in dating women, she would probably be the woman I would want to date. Of course, she has her limitations and so do I.”
- About his sexuality in ‘An Unsuitable Boy’ india-forums.com Karan had a lot to say about his sexuality in his autobiography which kind of confirmed that he indeed is gay, “Everybody knows what my sexual orientation is. I don’t need to scream it out. If I need to spell it out, I won’t only because I live in a country where I could possibly be jailed for saying this… The reason I don’t say it out aloud is simply that I don’t want to be dealing with the FIRs. I’m very sorry. I have a job, I have a commitment to my company, to my people who work for me; there are over a hundred people that I’m answerable to. I’m not going to sit in the courts because of ridiculous, completely bigoted individuals who have no education, no intelligence.”
- Being a hot topic during AIB Roast media.giphy.com Karan and his sexuality were a hot topic during this episode and he took it in a good stride, “Before we begin I would like to thank the entire panel for coming out today and Karan for not.Give it up for Karan Johar guys! Give it up! Like many in the industry have! Karan Johar, the director, writer, producer, and actor – You are like four guys in one! Exactly how you like it!” Cover image source