You don’t have to miss out on the necessary proteins just because you are a vegetarian or a veganWe all are aware how important it is to have proteins in our diet. However it is also known that non-vegetarian foods such as meat and beef are full of proteins. But the common belief that necessary proteins or “complete proteins” can be obtained only from non-vegetarian foods is slowly being broken. There are some vegetarian foods that have been proved to provide more iron than meat or equivalent amount of proteins. Here are few such vegetarian foods that contain higher protein as per amount of calories:
- Spinach popkey.co Spinach is known to be a very good source of Vitamin C, iron and folate. Folate is a very crucial vitamin for women and is a great contributor to physical strength, reproductive health and brain functioning. Having 1 cup of spinach will give you 5 grams of protein. Hence having spinach soup, adding spinach to your salad, meals like pulao, wraps etc would suffice and give you enough proteins.
- Almonds dsdtglobal.com Almonds are very rich in energy and consist of minerals, antioxidants, vitamins and nutrients. It can be considered as a whole food. It has been advised since years that consuming 3-4 almonds per day is very healthy. Nowadays almond butter is also used and works as a great substitute for normal butter. Apply it on a toast or have it straight out of the jar; just 1 table spoon of almond butter will be equivalent to 1 cup of fat milk.
- Soybean stylecraze.com Soybeans have been proved to provide almost as many needed amino acids as animal proteins do. These small yellow beans are a great and popular substitute for meat. Approximately 18 grams of soybean i.e. 1 cup of soybean is equivalent to 180 grams of cottage cheese or 75 grams of salmon.
- Hummus challengedairy.com Hummus is just a simple dip which offers heart-friendly fats, dietary fibers, low-glycemic index food and not to mention high proteins. Make this dip with virgin olive oil and you will be getting approximately 8 grams of protein per 100 grams. The most popular way of consuming hummus dip is with Pita bread. You can also use it as salad dressing or sandwich dressing.
- Broccoli tenor.co Broccoli contains more protein than beef i.e. 30 calories of broccoli will give 4.5 grams of protein. Apart from protein broccoli is also a great provider of Vitamin B6, fibers and amino acids. Use broccoli in your various meals like pizza toppings, pasta, broccoli soup, salads and you will be good to go. One of the best protein provider foods that is being largely consumed today is broccoli almond soup. Broccoli is also known to be one of the best foods that help in fighting cancer.
- Peanut Butter giphy.com Peanut butter is very high in fibers, potassium, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. It makes a superb alternative to meat and provides all the necessary proteins that a body needs. However it is high in fat so it is important to have just the right quantity. Cover image source