Killing off TV characters for the sake of TRPs and keeping the audience glued is nothing new. However what matters here the most is the timing and the character who is being killed off. The popular TV Series have a great timing and there have been more than enough instances where a character has been killed off, making TV a cruel place and it has been extremely shocking. Here are few such TV characters whose death came as a shock:
- Alejandro Perez, Desperate Housewives cinemorgue.wikia.com Tony Plana played the role of Alejandro Perez who was Gabrielle Solis’s (Eva Longoria) creepy stepfather. He was a guest-starrier and his death on the show took place at the hands of Gabrielle’s husband Carlos which was played by Ricardo Chavira. This was done with a candlestick and definitely caught audience off-guard.
- Zoe Barnes, House of Cards i.makeagif.com The premier episode of Second Season saw a shocking death of Zoe Barnes (Kate Mara). Zoe meets Frank Underwood (Kevin Spacey) in a subway station where after a very tense conversation, Zoe is casually pushed by Frank onto an on-coming train.
- Ned Stark, Game Of Thrones imgur.com One of the main characters Ned Stark (Sean Bean) was killed off in a very dramatic episode which shook the audience. In the episode, Ned Stark was ordered to be beheaded by King Joffrey while both his daughters Sansa and Arya look on.
- Lawrence Kutner, House media.giphy.com Kal Penn played the role of Lawrence Kutner who is killed off in Season 5. It was indeed a very dramatic fallout following Kal Penn’s desire to leave the show, as rumors say. However the death was very abrupt and random.
- Elena Gilbert, The Vampire Diaries giphy.com Season 2 of The Vampire Diaries saw a great sacrifice where Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev) died to save her friend Matt. He was possibly the least innocent character in this series. However, she would rather die herself than see a friend die for her. Her death was surely devastating. Audience found it both dumb and admirable.
- Dr Derek Shepherd, Grey’s Anatomy tumblr.com The lead character of Grey’s Anatomy Dr Derek Shephard aka McDreamy was killed off after 11 seasons. He was in a car accident and the doctors failed to save him following which he was declared brain dead. His wife Meredith Grey then takes him off life-support. This definitely came as very shocking.
- Charlie Sheen, Two And Half Men giphy.com Charlie Sheen had a fallout with the maker of the immensely popular show Two And Half Men. Following that he was fired from the show and it was shown on-screen that he had died. That too in a very soap-opera style. Post his death, only a casket and his signature outfit made an appearance in the premier episode of Season 9.
- Rhonda, Empire max-media.imgix.net The last episode of Season 2 of Empire shows Anika (Grace Gealey) and Rhonda (Kaitlin Doubleday) in a fight on a balcony and one of them falling off.
- Hodor, Game of Thrones esq.h-cdn.co Any GOT fan would say that Hodor’s death was the most unexpected and tragic thing that the series had to offer. However maybe it was essential for the script since he was killed by White Walkers while he was trying to protect Bran. Cover image source