Yoga is a profound system of holistic health which originated in India over 5,000 years ago. ‘Yoga’ is a Sanskrit word which means to join or to unite, symbolizing union of the body. Yoga is not just about doing a few joint, muscles or stretching exercises every day. It is a combination of three things: different postures, breathing patterns and meditation. After recognizing Yoga’s immense popularity across the globe, UN declared June 21 as International Yoga Day. Let’s get to know some interesting facts about this ancient technique:
- According to Hindu Mythology, Lord Shiva is considered to be the supreme lord of yoga. He is said to have imparted the knowledge of Yoga to the Saptha Rishis (seven saints).
- The word “yoga” was said to have first appeared in Katha Upanishad, which was composed between fourth to third century BCE.
- There are 196 Yoga Sutras or aphorisms and 84 classic Yoga Asanas, the Asana being one of the 8 limbs of Yoga.
- Swami Vivekananda is credited for being the key figure in the introduction of the Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the Western world.
- B.K.S. Iyengar was considered to be the foremost of the modern yoga teachers in the world.
- 85-year-old Bette Calman from Australia is listed in ‘The Guinness Book of World Records’ for being world’s oldest yoga teacher.
- 74 percent among the regular yoga practitioners in America have been doing the spiritual exercise for almost five or fewer years, according to a 2016 study conducted by Yoga Journal. 82 percent of Americans who practice yoga are female and most of them are under the age of 44 years.
- Lenovo has a tablet named Yoga.
- Doga was started in New York in 2002; it is a type of yoga by which people establish harmony with their dogs. The pets are either used as props for their owners, or they can do light stretching exercises themselves.
- According to a study at the Institute for Nonlinear Science, University of California, people suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) saw a significant reduction in symptoms when they practiced Kundalini yoga regularly.