There is a common misconception that there are not many places to visit in South-India. And Goa definitely doesn’t count as a trip to South. There are so many unexplored amazing places in South India that once you are there you won’t get enough of it. South India is culturally very different from rest of India but each state has its own history and varied characteristics. Here is the list of few places that one must visit in South India:
- MADURAI, TAMILNADU upload.wikimedia.org Madurai is an ancient town and is very popular for the well-known and sacred Meenakshi Temple that is located here. The city is said to be more than 4000 years old. It is very traditional and the culture here is exciting to explore. South-India is very famous for all the temples located here and the temple of Meenakshi tops the list. Thousands of people visit this temple every year.
- MAHABALIPURAM, TAMILNADU cache-graphicslib.viator.com Mahabalipuram has exotic white-sand beaches, which are totally unexplored. Also, shopping markets are very well known here. Mahabalipuram is popular for rock-cut caves, which are exciting to explore, and beautifully carved temples. If you are looking to explore ancient architecture, visit this place. The serene atmosphere will intoxicate you.
- SKANDAGIRI HILLS 365hops.com Skandagiri is located at the distance of 70 kms from Bangalore. The place isn’t that popular but is truly very beautiful. Skandagiri Hills overlook Muddenahalli and Nandi Hills and is at the altitude of 1350 meters. It makes a good weekend getaway and is perfect for those who love trekking.
- BHEEMESHWARI, KARNATAKA giphy.com Bheemeshwari is known for wildlife sanctuary and its fishing camps. Activities like river rafting, rope walking and kayaking are done here at its adventure camp. A very popular fish Mahseer, which is the largest game fish, is found here. The camp has lodges where you can plan your night stay.
- KUMARAKOM AND MUNNAR, KERALA giphy.com Kumarakom is the cluster of many man-made tiny islands and is situated on shores of Vembanad Lake. Munnar is a beautiful and mesmerizing hill station, which is popular for its tea-estates, exotic peaks and scenery. Kerala is known as God’s Own Country and there is a lot to do over here. Visit other places like Thekkady, Alleppey; catch elephants in their natural abode; make a trip to tea estates; take a ride in houseboat Kerala would be an experience of a lifetime.
- BUDLE BEACH, GOKARNA giphy.com Gokarna consists of five beaches namely Paradise, Om, Kudle, Half Moon and Gokarna. Each beach has its own beauty and is very beautiful. The beaches are very clean, serene, secluded and gorgeous. You will catch a sight of few fishermen here and there. It is located at the distance of 91 kms from Dabolim Airport and is a couple of hours drive from South Goa.
- HAMPI, KARNATAKA easytoursofindia.com Hampi has loads of historical beauty to explore and you will feel you have traveled back in time. It is a must-visit place in South-India. It has been declared as UNESCO World Heritage Site. There is so much to do here and so much to explore that you will be asking for more. Hampi was once a part of an ancient kingdom of Vijaynagar and that it still retains that magnificence. Don’t forget to visit the temple of Virupaksha while you are here.