That goes without saying that DDLJ is a classic in Indian cinema. It has completed 20 glorious years recently and it still doesn’t fail to cherish us with its charm. A cult classic, this is a love story of Raj and Simran in which Raj, an NRI wins Simran against all odds.
Even though the movie completed 20 years, we bet there are some rare facts about this movie that you possibly didn’t know. Here are they –
- Saif Ali Khan was offered the role of Raj previously.
- The title of the movie was suggested by Kirron Kher. Aditya Chopra make it public in the movie credits and extended his thanks.
- Simran was supposed to fall in love with Tom Cruise and not Raj Malhotra.
- The name ‘Raj’ Malhotra was picked by Aditya Chopra as a tribute to veteran actor Raj Kapoor.
- Shah Rukh Khan was reluctant to play a lover boy as the negative role was his forte.
- The song “Mehendi Laga Ke Rakhna” was supposed to be a part of another Yash Raj film.
- Kajol and Shah Rukh were on laughing riot while filming the bedroom scene.
- Kajol was unware of the fact that she will be dropped by SRK during the song “Ruk Jaa O Dil Diwanee”. That was her actual reaction.
- The black jacket that Shah Rukh wore was picked originally by Uday Chopra from a Harley Davidson’s store in California.
- Armaan Kohli was the first choice for the character of Kuljeet.
- The song “Tujhe Dekha To Yeh” was shot in the mustard fields of Gurgaon. The farmers didn’t like the idea but then Shah Rukh, who knew little Haryanvi, convinced them for it.
- The movie marked the debut of Karan Johar and Mandira Bedi.
- Even though the movie was shown to be shot in London but Simran’s mother Lajo shot all the scenes in Mumbai and never went to London in reality.
- Shah Rukh signed a poster for Aditya Chopra after the movie. It had “Thanks for making the star I am” written over it.
- Aditya Chopra initially didn’t like the idea of Kajol wearing green attire for Mehendi but then he trusted Manish Malhotra’s decision and that came out as a massive hit.