The era of 1960 to 1980 was the era of romance and it found expression through the rock music. As a result, there were a number of rock bands which came and conquered our heart and soul through their music and lyrics. They not only sang about romance but also about the philosophy of life.
The following are the top 10 timeless rock songs which should be on your playlist.
- STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN BY LED ZEPPELIN:
Composed by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, the song was released in 1971.Stairway to heaven is considered as one of the most influential songs with an unforgettable guitar solo, in the arena of rock. It features at 31st position in Rolling Stone’s ‘The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time’.
- COMFORTABLY NUMB BY PINK FLOYD:Again known for an outstanding guitar solo, this song is the most renowned song by Pink Floyd.
- SWEET CHILD O’ MINE BY GUNS N’ ROSES:Featured in their debut album ‘Appetite for Destruction’, Sweet Child O’ Mine is the band’s first and only number one single in U.S Billboard in 1988.
- HOTEL CALIFORNIA BY EAGLES:Hotel California is considered to be Eagle’s most popular song. Released in 1977, the song won a Grammy for the Record of the Year. It is often described as a song about ‘American High Life’ as well as intense self-destruction and drug abuse.
- NOTHING ELSE MATTERS BY METALLICA:Recognized as Metallica’s most popular song, Nothing Else Matters is the third single from their self-titled studio album, released in 1992. It gained the 11th position in Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.
- RIDERS ON THE STORM BY THE DOORS:Released in 1971, the song was part of the album L.A Woman. As Jim Morrison sings ‘There’s a killer on the road…’ it is inferred that the song drew its inspiration from American Killer Billy Cook.
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY BY QUEEN:Released in 1975, the lyrics were penned down by Freddie Murcury and it actually made Queen a household name. It is one of the most recognized songs coming out of the 1970s progressive rock arena. In 2004, Bohemian Rhapsody was inducted into ‘Grammy Hall of Fame’.
- JOHNY B. GOODE BY CHUCK BERRY:Chuck Berry is considered a pioneer when it comes to Rock-and-Roll. Johny B. Goode is one of the songs that defined R&B into a major and distinctive genre. Released in 1958, the song is about a country boy who plays guitar just like ‘ringing a bell’.
- HOUSE OF CARDS BY RADIOHEAD:It is a song from Radiohead’s seventh studio album ‘In Rainbows, released in 2007. ‘I don’t wanna be your friend/ I just wanna be your lover/ No matter how it ends/ No matter how it starts’- with the powerful lyrics along with Thom Yorke’s surreal voice make it an absolute stunner. It entered the 24th position in Billboard US Adult Alternative Songs.
- ALL I WANT IS YOU BY U2:Released in 1989, it is the final single from the album ‘Rattle and Hum’. The rock ballad was dedicated to U2 frontman Bono’s wife Ali Hewson. All I want is you appeared in the official soundtrack of 1994 film ‘Reality Bites’ as well, where it reached number 38 in U.S top 40 mainstream charts. It topped the position in Irish Singles Chart and obtained the second position in Australian ARIA Charts.